MAKING MEMORY FOR #COP22 BY TRANSFORMING RURAL LIVES IN DODOMA, TANZANIA

By Tajiel Urioh,


Is 65 kilometers from Dodoma Town Tanzania where I will have my COP22, The COP that will basically focus on Sustainable Development Goals, especially in all areas of 5Ps (People, Prosperity, Planet, Peace and Partnership). I will not be in Marrakesh, Morocco but I walk on implementation of some of best practices known on addressing and responding to climate variability and changes in Chemba District, Dodoma.

Again, this is November, my birthday month of which I want to leave a green and hope footprint to my people regarding solutions to climate variability and change related challenges.

With fund from UNDP Tanzania, I and my team we dedicate our November to transform lives of more than 500 households in Babayu, Chemba District by making a 1973 promise of water true in November 2016 during COP22. The people of Babayu get their water from a natural source, and local sand dams on dried seasonal water streams. The quality of that water is not good but also such sources are drying fast and population is growing so fast.
According to Elders from Babayu told me that in May 1973, Mwl JK Nyerere during opening of Village Dispensary He made a promise to this community that he clean and safe water will be available but delivery of such promise was not accomplished as per Babayers expectations. With spirit of changing lives of others, I’m leading a team that we are working on supplying clean and safe water to this community after drilling a deep borehole that will be powered by Solar Energy. 


We will educate community about best agri-practices and establishing a demonstration farm for them to learn by practices. In other hand well construct water points for domestics use as well as for cattle. We all know that on SDGs, we don’t want to leave anyone behind so women and youth will be in frontline in this transformational project.

I will not be able to give COP22 Marrakesh updates as past years, as where I will have My COP22 is a place where phone and internet network is extremely limited. So I will be disconnected to the world with regard to internet access. Moreover, I will be busy doing so called ‘My COP22’ in such rural area in Central Tanzania.

But I promised My COP22 in Rural Dodoma and November will be great and memorable to people of Babayu as negotiation will be just in Action to reflect some of ambitions of every climate activist including building climate variability and change resilience.

I can conclude that my November in Chemba District, Dodoma during COP22 will base on solutions that we all want to see. Definitely I’m missing COPs punches and lessons on Climate Diplomacy but I’m so happy to spend time in rural area and change their ability in responding to climate variability and change in their areas and be able to contribute to global efforts of achieving Agenda 2030 and Agenda 2063 for Africa.

For the memory of 19th November and COP22 in Marrakesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment